Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Same Sex Marriage and Children

I have had an interesting week this last week or so about same sex marriage and children in gay families.

I was never really a big fan of same sex marriage, when I was a single gay dad. It never appealed to me as why the GLBTIQ community were fighting for equal rights and same sex marriage. I was happy to just be a gay dad, and to provide the best for my children. I was going about my everyday life as best as it could be. BUT, now that has all changed. I am in a loving relationship with an amazing person who adores my children as his own.

He took me to my first political rally, which was the same sex rally in Melbourne earlier this year. I was amazed of the turn out the different diverse of people there supporting same sex marriage. This was a major turning point for me as a founder of GLOCKIDS and Coming Out Australia . It got me thinking about me own relationship with my partner and my children. This is what family is about, showing the commitment to each other that love is all around and as gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgender or any other identity that identifies us in the GLBTIQ community. I now what to be able to marry my partner and have the same equal rights I had when I was previously married as a heterosexual person. I have since attended the Same Sex Marriage rally in Ballarat and have taken a active stand against homophobia and the support of Same Sex Marriage.

The other day in the car, one of my children asked if my partner was step dad to him, he said that it was up to my son to call him what ever he wanted. That blow me away as we have never talked to my children about the step dad thing or same sex marriage, but it got me thinking that this is the generation we need to educate about same sex marriage and the different types of families that are out there, and it is ok to have these kinds of families as long as they are in a loving environment.

I heard on the radio that both Kevin Rudd and Tony Abbott at a Christian conference, advised the audience that they both do not support same sex marriage. That just goes to show that we have a long battle on our hands and we need to get out there and fight for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment